Tuesday, October 19, 2004

October 16-18: Of fall beauty and loss and comfort

October 16: Shorter run this week-end, as we stepped back from the longer distance--but intensified the effort. This run totaled ~12 miles with 4 x ~1 mile repeats. We started at Lloyd Hall as usual, ran along the new section of bike path (past the Waterworks), and toward West River Drive, turning on Sweet Briar Road, and again onto Concourse Drive. Since this section of the course wasn't measured, Dave's original plan was to have us run hard starting from the turn from the River Drive to Sweet Briar, then along Concourse up to the Mann Music Center. However, based on everyone's times, it was determined that this was closer to a mile and a quarter, so in our next three repeats, we skipped Sweet Briar and just ran Concourse Drive to the Mann Music Center. That was about 9/10 mile. My times seemed a bit faster than my current mile times: 8:20, 8:15, 8:10. Shorter course than for the 12-minute first repeat, and the times (if I deluded myself sufficiently) were prettier! For the warmdown, we passed Belmont Plateau and headed down Montgomery Drive back to West River Drive, returning the same way we'd left.

Sights on this run: the Great Blue Heron on the opposite side of the pond near Belmont Plateau, almost hidden by the brown surface of the water and the water lilies, but its curved neck just asserting itself against the liquid backdrop.... the runner coming toward us with a pelloton of bike riders at a distance behind her, runner and bike riders lit by the sun, the runner appearing to lead the riders, the shadows sharp on the ground....the swirl of pigeons spread across the river, with the Strawberry Mansion Bridge behind them, the water glittering, the rowers in their variously colored shells....all so dynamic, so fluid, so graceful.

R.I.P. Larry Simmons, Philadelphia area coach, Master's runner, race-walker: Dave told me after this run that Larry had passed away. I knew him through participating in the Philly Masters' events. Larry--so energetic, so quick witted, so generous with his help and advice! He talked me through a mile race at an indoor meet at St. Joe's one day when Russell couldn't be there, then offered me a ride home. When he took up racewalking, he competed as hard as he ever did as a runner. He lived fully almost to the end. Dave told me he'd seen Larry only the week before at a racewalking workout. Thank you, Larry--you gave so much to the track community! May God bless you in heaven!

Here's a link that contains tributes by those who knew him: http://www.milesplit.com/article/3762

October 17: 92 minute run. Again, I stopped at my mom and stepfather's grave. For some reason, when I do that, it's an incredibly difficult run emotionally. I never can make that trip without tears. This day was no exception. In part, this came from my disappointment that the flowers had been taken away (found another little artificial flower and added it to the daisy. Not much, but something. Maybe the Charlie Brown Christmas tree of flower displays. But as I hovered by the grave, the tears coming, I felt a warmth that seemed to penetrate the chill and the wind. As if somehow they were telling me I wasn't alone and to keep up my courage. Finally, I felt able to start off again, but I could not start a second lap around the cemetery.

Instead, I detoured to the right to stop at the Delaware County Hospital, needing to use the ATM. As I started toward the hospital, I saw a white haired man who asked me how long I'd been running. At first, I thought he meant on this particular day. About fifty minutes, I told him. "No," he said. "How many years have you run?" "Since about my mid-thirties," I replied, "and I'm 53 now." "You look great! Keep it up! I used to run but my knees gave out." I felt as if this man was somehow sent to me to encourage me. I don't know why--not so much that he was literally an angel, although people say they see angels in human form, and I won't say that didn't happen. Just that it struck me as interesting that he wanted to know how many years I'd been running. And I had an interesting feeling that the man knew me from somewhere, even though I'd not met him before. I think sometimes each of us can be angelic to one another, encouraging a stranger, letting someone know he or she is appreciated. I felt a kind of peace after seeing that man.

Continued on toward Upper Darby High school, where there was a flea market going on. Flitted around the tables briefly, promised myself I'd return after my run, then off to the track to run by then the remaining 35 minutes. I was pretty tired, but oddly, by the time I finished, I began to want to keep going. However, I was also as happy to stop and explore the flea market. I can see why my mom used to love going to flea markets and antique stores. You can find so many surprises, things you won't find in the malls with all their glitz. Dusty little pieces of someone's life.... I bought a book on creativity, a small wicker shelf set, a couple of silver rings, and a display plate with a bald eagle. Not the most practical items, except for the wicker shelf set (bathroom needed more shelf space). But somehow a fun conclusion to my run, an exploration--going around this quilt of odd objects.

October 18: Quiet little 32 minute run, taking in neighborhoods and woods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home