Friday, July 06, 2012

Please note: I am not a politician, and I vote Democratic, and so I hope my Dem friends will not hold it against me that I pray--and that my Republican friends don't hold it against me that I don't espouse an end to gay marriage and believe that we need to be attentive to global warming.

I was looking for prayers to end this awful heat wave, and I saw none that didn't drip with political agenda. And all I want is a prayer we can all join--and if you can't pray, then find some way to reflect, meditate, whatever helps you feel part of a human community seeking good.

I pray, God, for a speedy end to this heat wave--I worry about people, so many people--and animals--at risk. I know I should think that somehow it's God's way of warning the world, etc. etc. I should think this, but all I can think is that I want it to be over and people to be happy and well and breathing fresh air. If that's wrong, God, I'm sorry, but it's all I can pray for.

Too many dying. It hurts me--scares me. And I'm in no mood for prophecies of doom. All I want is for all of us of so many backgrounds and beliefs to live in harmony and breathe fresh air and not die of the heat--and to stop judging people who don't share the same beliefs.

2 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger thronedoggie said...

I sympathize, but folks who follow the same spiritual discipline that I follow aren't even ALLOWED to suggest to God what He ought to do :)

I reckon that this has something to do with the fact that so many of us used to really think that God should be checking with us before doing anything - as well as the gummint, and weather, and the stock market :)

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger DPMcManus said...

I don't feel there's any harm in suggesting to God a course of action--I suggest courses of action to people I know, including those in authority. But "suggest" suggests no obligation to follow that course of action, just a plea for considering it. Always the bottom line is freedom--for us and for God (however you define Her/Him). And the answer is always "no" if you don't ask. :) I'd have responded sooner but haven't been back to this post for a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home